Tuesday 13 November 2018

Teaser Tuesday: A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir.

A Reaper at the Gates – Razorbill


Hope is stronger than fear. It is stronger than hate.
— Chapter 16

Everyone believes that nothing concerns them until the monsters are knocking on their doors!
— Chapter 29





There were way too many amazing, insightful, funny, heart-wrenching, wonderful quotes to choose from in this book. Sabaa Tahir writes with an immediacy and emotional impact that always stay with me even after I’ve finished the story. In preparation for this one, I listened to the previous two books because of all the details I was sure I’d forgotten. It had been two years after all. As a result, I now have very distinct voices in my head (apart from the usual other voices) depending on whoever’s point of view it is.
Third books can be the saving grace or downfall of a series, no matter if they’re the final book or not. The second book had set a fairly high mark to aim for and this one quite confidently reaches it. I felt there were a few minor lengths that keep me from giving out the highest of praises but it’s really more of a cosmetic blemish. Two of the three perspectives were just so damn strong and driven that I felt the third was a little flagging … but seriously that’s complaining about a wisp of cloud in an otherwise blue sky.
The end fairly thoroughly wrecked me. Not in a hit you with a hammer way but more with the momentum of a mudslide that builds up over time and when you realise what’s happening you’re about to be buried by tons of (emotional) rock. I know that the hero’s journey includes a moment where all hope is lost and a steep price has to be paid and so on. But do the prices have to be like this? At least please tell me that the next book will be out in a year. All this emotional trauma baggage is really hard to keep track of and drag around.

Bonus quote:

Curse this world for what it does to the mothers, for what it does to the daughters. Curse it for making us strong through loss and pain, our hearts torn from our chests again and again. Curse it for forcing us to endure.
— Chapter 57

Do you have audiobooks that influence how you read certain books now? I also have this with Harry Potter, which will forever sound like Stephen Fry in my head. Share your thoughts and teasers in the Comments!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I was thinking that the teasers would be just as appropriate and timely in a general fiction book as they are in this book. Good teasers! My Teaser

Laura said...

This is another author I've been meaning to try. I hope you enjoy it.

My TT from The Box Of Bones

Post a Comment