Tuesday 9 October 2018

Teaser Tuesday: The Lost Sisters by Holly Black

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Lost Sisters by Holly Black.

The Lost Sisters – Little, Brown
Books for Young Readers

Let’s start with a love story. Or maybe it’s another horror story. It seems like the difference is mostly in where the ending comes.
— 6%

She turned to me, head tilted, her expression pure confusion. As though I had no reason to be afraid of a broken heart. She had no idea how dangerous a broken heart could be. You do, though. You know.
— 20%



Holly Black is one of those authors (to me at least) who you hear are not only great at their craft but also at talking about it. And I’m more than happy to report that I found that to be true when I got to listen to her during the Boston Teen Author Festival last month. (For such a short visit I certainly got the whole dosage of bookish stuff, I’m so very lucky). She’s also one of those authors to whom I’d more than happily entrust parts of that reader’s heart of mine in the certain knowledge that she will utterly torture it (in a wickedly wonderful way … some readers are strange in that respect).
This is a companion and also a bridge between the brilliant The Cruel Prince and the possibly equally fabulous The Wicked King. If you’ve read the first book, you’ll get at least a little insight into that shocking betrayal that happened … and if you haven’t read it  … what the heck are you waiting for, there is a second book coming out in January, which I’m desperately waiting for and which is luckily teased at with an excerpt at the end of this.
Holly is a master-world-builder, which is more than true, but she’s also so very good at character development. After reading this short side trip into Taryn’s mind and way of thinking I’m still not at peace with her yet I find that I understand why she did it and what her thought process was. And that’s not something every writer is capable of doing if you’ve been in the actual protagonist’s head for a whole book before that. Now, there is another point of view that I’d very much like to see (several actually) but I doubt we’ll get a glimpse into that wicked head anytime soon.

Which author has confirmed your admiration of them when you got to meet them? Share your experiences and teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

I have read some Holly Black but have never had a chance to meet her. She sounds fascinating. This week I am featuring The Hour of Death by Jane Willan from my review stack. Happy reading!

Laura said...

I especially liked the first teaser. My Teaser is from The Dinner Party by Tracy Bloom.

Nise' said...

I have read a few of her books and really like them. Loved the first tease.

Post a Comment