Tuesday 19 June 2018

Teaser Tuesday: Smoke in the Sun by Renée Ahdieh

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Smoke in the Sun by Renée Ahdieh.

Smoke in the Sun – G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Books for Young Readers


The Emperor of Wa enjoyed toying with people to see how they would react. And Mariko refused to be any man’s toy.
— Chapter 10

It was time for him to forgive his past. Not forget it. Only a fool would do such things.
— Chapter 31




Since I’m a reader, I’m more than allowed to change my mind about things. Like, for example, first complaining about too many books being part of a trilogy, then not enough stand-alones … and now about duologies, because I can’t bear to part with these characters. Special added bonus because this is the authors second duology and she manages to do this to me again.
The first book was one of my absolute favourites last year and I fell head over heels in love with the world and its characters. So far so good. But as with the second book of her first set, Renée Ahdieh totally managed to surprise me with leading the narration in a completely different and yet totally fitting direction. I don’t actually know what I expected and now that I know how this plays out I can’t imagine any other way for this to go, but I remember that I was caught a little off guard at first.
Seriously, what  wonderful, magical, and empowering story. It’s definitely one I’m going to keep recommending for its drive and overall greatness.

Is there a follow-up book to a story you loved that initially didn’t go in the direction you thought it would but you ended up loving it anyway? Share your experiences and teasers in the comments!

1 comments:

Laura said...

I've had that happen too. The author went a different way from what I was expecting with the next book but it worked well. Pretty cover:)

My TT from Celebrity Chef Zombie Apocalypse

Post a Comment