Tuesday 15 May 2018

Teaser Tuesday: Royals by Rachel Hawkins

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Royals by Rachel Hawkins.

Royals – G. P. Putnam’s Sons

“What thing with my face?” Miles asks, doing exactly that thing. It’s this lifting of his chin and tightening of his jaw that makes him look like he’s about to oppress some peasants, and I point at him.
“That thing.”
Glaring at me, Miles steps a little closer. “This is just what my face looks like.”
“That is unfortunate,” I say.
— Chapter 24

“Lucky bugger.”
“Because Greece or just because he’s not here, staring at ponies?”
— Chapter 32

In anticipation of a certain event next weekend … and because I flipping loved the idea when Rachel Hawkins posted about it way back when. Even if it has a screaming pink cover.
Daddy’s princess, I’m going to be a princess when I grow up, and several other princess dreams of little girls, how wonderful. Unless you’re actually the sister of the girl becoming a princess because then all the press attention and whatnot can quickly become a real nightmare. Exactly what happens to our protagonist Daisy when her sister becomes engaged to the crown prince of Scotland and thus catapults her fairly normal Floridian family into the spotlight of the yellow press all over the world. Bye, bye goes Daisy’s quiet and nerdy summer, hello sudden crash course in aristocratic etiquette and customs. Everything seems to go horribly wrong from the very beginning; good thing that the queen can’t actually order spontaneous beheadings and incarcerations.
To add insult to injury the younger brother of the fiancĂ© and his troupe of friends are not called the Royal Wreckers for nothing. And one of them is ordered to show Daisy the ropes to prevent her from causing (perceived) irreparable damage to the crown. Miles is certainly up to the job in terms of title and knowledge, but if you ask Daisy he more than makes up for that by lacking in the human and social department – or does he? Much sniping and hilarity for the observer/reader ensue.
I’m mostly happy with this book and quite enjoyed Daisy’s and Miles’ antics. In fact, I would have loved more of that as it felt as though their page time together was not quite enough. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Daisy’s misadventures with the problem prince and her best friend … I still hope that those two will reconcile after that club incident. But more #Maisy would have been much appreciated. Even if they mostly used their time to snap at each other. Book two will seemingly centre on other characters, but I really hope we’ll see these two again.

Are you planning on watching the wedding this weekend? My friends and I are planning a group event complete with scones and possibly cucumber sandwiches. Let’s hear about your plans and teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Good teasers. I liked the one about his face in particular. My Teaser

Laura said...

LOL I'm liking these characters already:)

My TT from Warning Light

Brooke said...

Ha! I want to pick this book up now!
Here is my teaser from Sea Witch!

Post a Comment