Tuesday 23 May 2017

Teaser Tuesday: The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan.

The Dark Prophecy –
Disney Hyperion

“I volunteer for death!” I shouted.
The entire mob turned to look at me. I silently cursed my choice of words.
— Chapter 3

Ever since, I had lived in terror, wondering when and how the spirit of the Styx would punish me. Perhaps, instead of a grand moment of retribution, it would be a slow death by a thousand insults. How often could a music god hear that he had a decent voice before he crumbled into a self-loathing pile of dust?
— Chapter 15


Remember how I said that I miss Percy Jackson? While that is still true I won’t deny and his  that a certain former god and his (not always happy about it) friends are also very dear to me. But then again, Rick Riordan could quite possibly write about the mating habits of sea cucumbers and make it an adventure ... as you may recall I’m a history and mythology nerd (gasp now I’m telling you) and easily amused by ouns and clever allusions. Case in point was my discovery of the software “Nero burning ROM” (about a hundred years ago) ... it took ages for my poor friend to decipher my giggle fit.
Anyway, what’s with the ostriches on that cover you might ask and rightfully so, but I must tell you that these combat ostriches are not to be trifled with. Nor is their ... master, I suppose. But then again whenever this historical figure is mentioned I picture Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator and suddenly think that maybe we was just misunderstood. For a while and then he went off the deep end so basically what is also told about him here. Might be some truth in that.
Special love, of course, for the haikus. And several other things that I can’t really get into unless I spoil the series and we really wouldn’t want that. I think there’s a little too much monster vaporising (very sensitive word for the fighting business), but I’m possibly also looking at this askepct a tad too much at the moment due to some other ongoing discussions.

How sensitive are you to descriptions of fights in books? Do you try to avoid them or would you say they don’t really affect you? Share your thoughts and teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Fight scenes don't bother me. I really need to read some more Riordan. I have only read the first books in a couple of his series. My YA teaser this week comes from The Girl with the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've never read this author, but his adventures do sound riveting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “MISS YOU”

Anonymous said...

I've read the first Rick Riordan and I've bought the audible editions of all the Percy Jackson books for my granddaughter - so I think it's time I tucked into the rest of the series as I know she's really enjoyed them. My TT this week - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/teaser-tuesday-23rd-may-2017/

Post a Comment