Tuesday 3 May 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh.

The Rose and the Dagger –
G.P. Putnam’s Sons

Here, she was truly boundless.
Fear would never overtake her again.
— Chapter 11

“Do not make me beg you. Because I won’t. I’ll merely lose my temper or cry. And I have always secretly despised those who cry to wheedle their objectives. But if you force me to do it, Khalid Ibn al-Rashid, I will. And I cry beautifully.”
— Chapter 15




As a person who works with words and stories on a daily basis the art of storytelling reflected in a story itself has a very special appeal to me. Therefore, anything involving the legends of One Thousand and One Nights is an almost certain sale. And after I could hardly get enough of the first one I was very interested if this high level could be maintained. Let’s just say that I wasn’t disappointed. I didn’t go there for roses and soap bubbles and there certainly aren’t any at the moment. The title itself attests to that. But roses and daggers can both be quite beautiful and disguise their sharp thorns and tips. And you probably wouldn’t admire a blunt blade quite as much as a wickedly sharp one. I admire the story for its equally wicked sharp twists and high stakes. The setting is wonderful and feels incredibly real. And while I don’t mind my favourite characters suffering for a bit (for the good cause of a great plot, not unnecessary suffering) there better be a solution in store for the handmaiden and the caliph’s cousin.

This book series has some seriously pretty declarations of love, too. Do you have a favourite quote from that department? Share quote sources and teasers in the comments.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen this book a few places lately - it seems like it is going to be a great read!

Happy Reading!
My Teaser Tuesday
Peyton @A Bookish Mess

The Candid Cover said...

I am so dying to read this one! Your teaser is absolutely perfect and makes me want to abandon my TBR for it right now. Enjoy! :)

https://candidcover.net/2016/05/03/teaser-tuesdays-54-love-and-gelato-by-jenna-evans-welch/

Kathy Martin said...

I'm still thinking about reading the first one. I had it, started it, and set it aside because I had just read another similar story and this one didn't grab me right away. This week my YA teaser comes from Even If the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia. Happy reading!

abookaddict said...

Your words actually intrigue me more than the teasers do..."wicked sharp twists and high stakes"! My teaser this week is from a novel by John le Carre: http://abookaddictsview.blogspot.com/2016/05/teaser-tuesday.html

Proxyfish @ Books by Proxy said...

The covers of these books are so gorgeous I just want them for their looks! The teasers aren't half bad either... ;)

I hope you love this book!

My Teaser

Mysteries by Moonlight said...

Wow, the speaker here sounds like a spitfire, all attitude! She'll be a joy to read about. :) Thanks for sharing.

Books in Bloom • http://goo.gl/f929fE

Unknown said...

Great teasers. This book is making the rounds recently.

My TT from Onyx Webb

Post a Comment