Tuesday 8 December 2015

Teaser Tuesday: Spinning Starlight by R. C. Lewis

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Spinning Starlight by R. C. Lewis.

Spinning Starlight – Disney Hyperion

One wrong move during a delicate experiment. One mistake. One accident.
One is such a deceptively small number.
— Chapter 2

Great. These two can’t talk to each other, and I can’t talk at all. This should be fun.
— Chapter 18




Off the top of the head how many fairy tales can you name? Now subtract all that have been adapted into a Disney movie of some sort. The good news: Disney and Co. won’t run out of material any time soon. This book is adapted from a tale most people won’t have named, because it’s one of the lesser known ones. But even then you won’t necessarily find the wild swans in the story unless you look for them very hard. At its heart, this is a sci-fi coming of age story with a hint of romantic love but mostly family and what one is willing to do and endure for them. This book is only for readers who like to get very close to the main character as almost all of the book is inner monologue and observations since the heroine cannot speak. Or should I say mustn’t? Anyway, she eventually finds means of communication but let me tell you how much I am now an advocate to keep writing by hand a vital part of our culture. Typing is nice and easy but how soon will be completely rely on voice commands? And boy are we in trouble if that suddenly doesn’t work anymore.
I had a few issues with the story, mostly because of missed connections and failed communication ... or lacking trust. But if we can’t trust our neighbour to be a reasonable human, how should the main character trust complete strangers (from different species) to behave in an honourable way?

Do you read sci-fi? At which point is it too out there for you? I personally don’t appreciate being bombarded with technical details and being expected to remember how a certain thing worked some fifty odd pages later. Let’s hear from you in the comments!

5 comments:

Beth F said...

I don't read much scifi but I like fantasy and fairy-tale retellings. I'll have to look into this one, despite the flaws you point out.

Cathy said...

I don't read much sci-fi but the cover makes this look very appealing.

sherry fundin said...

I can go pretty far, after all it is fiction and I just let the words take me away. BUT, I don't read a lot of sci fi and fairy retellings.
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sci-fi/coming of age / romance. Sounds good!
My Tuesday post features Beach Trip.

karen said...

I read quite a bit of sci-fi when I was younger but got away from it (aside from the random Doctor Who book, of course). This one may be worth picking up at the library, though.

Post a Comment