Tuesday 4 November 2014

Teaser Tuesday: The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Young Elites by Marie Lu.

The Young Elites –
G.P. Putnam’s Sons

Be true to yourself, Violetta once told me when I was trying in vain to win Father over. But that’s something everyone says and no one means. No one wants you to be yourself. They want you to be the version of yourself that they like.
— Chapter 8

They were the best of friends as long as they did not know they were supposed to be enemies. The truth would do its damage soon enough.
— Chapter 21



Here is how my reading of this book went: Last Thursday night I read the first few chapters but had to stop because, curse you reality, sleeping at work is frowned upon. I finished reading at approximately 2:30 am on Saturday in a state of disillusion that was not just caused by the late hour. But the disillusion was decidedly positive!
Marie Lu has done it again. After the Legend series this one takes a decidedly darker turn but still shows her expert way of creating multi-layered, complex characters and great world-building skills. Adelina is an interesting character, who is haunted not just by her ghosts but also by her own personality. The reader can hardly fault her for her actions and the origin of her darkness is comprehensible enough. And Raffaele is one of my favourite new characters of the year. I want a friend like him.
I still don’t know what to think about ... the thing ... that happened towards the end. And what I actually want to happen next because there are a lot of options and at the moment neither of them seem like a particularly good idea. Good thing that I now have a year before the next book to make up my mind ... and that’s about the only good thing of that wait.

We’re nearing the end of the year so naturally there are a lot of best-of lists cropping up at the moment. Are you listing any best-ofs? Share ideas and teasers in the comments.

10 comments:

Love Africa Book Club said...

I totally agree with teaser 1. Nice one.
Here's mine
http://www.lovebitessilkties.co.uk/2014/11/teasertuesday-bookoftheweek-her-bear.html

Kay

Unknown said...

Wow! I have this book but havent read it. Nice teasers :)

Here's mine:
Teaser Tuesday: Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer Armentrout

Beth F said...

Good teasers -- I've been meaning to read Marie Lu.

Karen and Gerard said...

I like your teasers! My husband read and liked this, although he said he didn't think it was as good as Legend so I didn't read it. Here's a link to his review of it if interested: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-young-elites-by-marie-lu-is.html

Unknown said...

Wonderful teaser and a great example of the authors writing talent. I'll be starting this series soon.
Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/11/04/teaser-tuesdays-88-real-elves-an-emily-castle-mystery/

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Good Teasers, especially the first one. I've heard a lot about this series.
My Tuesday post features a Navajo mystery by Tony Hillerman: THE BLESSING WAY.

Kim Griffin said...

I love the first teaser and I agree, nobody ever really means that. I'm going to be coming up with a "best of the books I've read this year" and maybe a "worst of" as well. Here's my TT. Happy Reading!

Anonymous said...

Like the first teaser.

Unknown said...

I'm still waiting for a copy of this from the library, but I'm very intrigued by these teasers. The first one especially is a thought that resonates with me. Great picks!

Here are My Teasers.

Laura said...

Good Teasers. I've been wondering about this book so it was nice to read about it.
My teaser is from Silent Murders by Mary Miley

Post a Comment