Tuesday 22 May 2018

Teaser Tuesday: The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan.

The Burning Maze –
Disney-Hyperion

Before I could argue, she took a flying leap out of the broken window—which was a pretty good metaphor for her general approach to life.
— Chapter 27

Power makes good people uneasy rather than joyful or boastful. That’s why good people so rarely rise to power.
— Chapter 44





Rick Riordan has forever earned a bump up on my reading list whenever his books are published because I implicitly trust him to deliver a story that I’ll enjoy … even if enjoy mean that my nails won’t survive the encounter and I’ll probably have some angst-issues for the foreseeable future. But what else is new, you know of my slightly destructive reading/favourite authors habits.
So this book is dedicated to the muse of tragedy, which should be warning enough, but sometimes even the dedication is part of the deception or already part of the story. And well … let’s just say this dedication is warranted and I’m still not really okay with the why and how and the circumstances. There better be a very good reason and/or solution. Because tragedy in its Greek origin (and I’ll hold the author to that) means that the thing that happens is the only way and couldn’t be prevented as opposed to the popular use of the words tragic and tragedy, meaning that something is very sad/dramatic and catastrophic. And frankly, I don’t (yet?) see the inevitability of the thing that happens. Nor it’s function apart from that confused, angry sadness. I suppose that’s one way to instil terror and anxiety in readers.
Apart from that, this book was as entertaining and well-written as ever and I was again quite taken with the characters (new and old). There were the patent humour and Apollo’s charming self. He’s not exactly beginning to accept his situation but maybe getting more and more used to it. His character arc is definitely one of the most complex ones in this by now massive universe and I look forward to accompanying him on his journey in the following books.

Do you have a word that you notice has a different meaning as used by the public than how you think of it? I still think we should use the word tragedy more sparingly … Let’s hear from you about your words and teasers in the comments.

2 comments:

Laura said...

LOL Fun teaser. I've yet to read this series but it sure is popular.

My TT from The Penance List

sjhigbee said...

I have not yet read his books, but I know that his previous series fired up my dyslexic granddaughter, so I am looking forward to tucking into his work sometime this year...

Post a Comment