Tuesday 27 June 2017

Teaser Tuesday: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.

A Court of Wings and Ruin –
Bloomsbury Children’s Books

She complained that I was flying deliberately slow. So I went fast.
— Chapter 24

My knife clattered to the stones and snow. And I looked into the mirror.
— Chapter 68






Is there a limit on potentially soul-crushing books you can read in a row? Seeing that this is the third book in the series and somewhat of a break (although there are three more books to come) I was slightly optimistic that the end wouldn’t completely destroy me. However, before you get to that end there are 700 pages where you can convince yourself that everything is about to go to hell. Repeatedly. I loved the second book in this series so much and have re-read passages of it over and over, so the bar for this was incredibly high and I don’t blame the book that it doesn’t quite (in my opinion) live up to its precursor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great, amazing, breathtaking read, but that one final ingredient that would make it magical is somehow missing. And I couldn’t even tell you what would be needed to make it so. Maybe A Court of Mist and Fury just broke the mold.
Anyway, back to the everything is going to hell part: I’m in awe of the author who can set up a scenario where you care so much about the fate of a fictional world that you constantly worry about it when you can’t read about it (pesky real life again getting in the way of reading time). And the real art is giving glimpses of hope in this horror scenario that then turn out to be spinning everything even closer to total destruction.
It would always have been too early for me to let go of this cast of characters, but I hope that in the books to come they won’t be completely absent. I am wondering though about the significance of certain fighting characters because what happens when such ancient beings with arguably important roles suddenly cease to be able to participate in the running of the world? (Vague enough?)

We’re almost at the exact halfway point of the year, how is your reading pile shaping up? Do you tend to read more or less in the second half of the year? Share your observations and teasers in the comments.

6 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

My husband and I are also loving this series and we thought this book was great!

Anonymous said...

I have the first book of this series on my teetering TBR pile and have heard nothing but good things about it, so I MUST get down to reading this one...

Unknown said...

I keep meaning to start this series. You're one of many who love it!

My TT from Iced

Unknown said...

Sounds great! Mine this week is a murder mystery: https://wp.me/p3Nz8P-1mA

Kathy Martin said...

This book is on my stack but I'm concentrating on review books right now and can only look at it. This week I am reading The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst. Happy reading!

What's Beyond Forks? said...

This is a series that's been on my TBR a while. I really need to get started. Great teasers! Thank you for sharing!

My teaser is from: Anomaly by Tonya Kuper

Post a Comment