Tuesday 21 February 2017

Teaser Tuesday: Glitter by Aprilynne Pike

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Glitter by Aprilynne Pike.

Glitter – Random House Books
for Young Readers

I see his jaw working furiously; he wants to accuse me of something, but my story is too simple for holes. The best lies always are.
— Chapter 7

Is it truly worth saving one’s life if you lose your soul in the process?
But like a cart careening down a hill, I’ve set too many processes into motion.
— Chapter 34



This book looks pretty and shallow, doesn’t t? And its protagonist invests quite a lot to be perceived as just this: a non-threatening and superficial girl. But make no mistake there is so much going on beneath the surface!
The setting can be a little confusing at first. How can there be a completely separated historical society right in the middle of a futurist country? It’s not actually that unimaginable considering what just enough money will be able to buy. The straight and consequent implementation of this second society is very entertaining. And yet even more entertaining is the downward spiral of the protagonist. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t enjoy seeing a person destroying themselves and everyone around them and I more or less understand where the protagonist is coming from. I can’t quite pinpoint the moment when my understanding of the situation flipped. At what point does the end stop justifying the means? Social study potential galore!
Be aware that there is a Cliffs of Moher like cliffhanger at the end though. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Book two has no release date scheduled yet.

I don’t have to like a character to understand them. And I seem to read quite a few of the intentionally disliked characters lately. Have you come across a character you don’t like but who fascinates you recently? Share your finds and teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard good things about this book. I wish I had time to read every one that catches my attention.

My TT from Ice Hunt

sherry fundin said...

I hate a cliffhanger, especially when I can't get my hands on the next book. I love when they're worth the wait.
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Kathy Martin said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I might wait for book 2 before starting it though. From my review stack this week, I have The Dragon's Price by Bethany Wiggins. Happy reading!

Post a Comment