Tuesday 29 November 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan.

The Hammer of Thor – Disney-Hyperion
With most zombies, you don’t expect conversation.
I figured King Mummy would say RARRRR! Or, at most, BRAINS! And then get down to the business of killing us.
I was not ready for “Thank you, mortals! I am in your debt!”
— Chapter 15

Seriously, I don’t know if there’s a Norse god of dreams, but if there is, I’m going to find his house and hack apart his Sleep Number mattress with a battle-ax..
— Chapter 25


I’ve seen Rick Riordan being called scribe of the gods and considering that he is able to write about a multitude of pantheons and tell compelling stories about them this seems like a worthy call sign. I especially love the humour in these books with witty and fun dialogues and narrations. Percy Jackson and friends reminded me of my passion for Greek and Roman mythology and I always smile about the little quirks when I discover a connection either between the individual books or to old myths  often with a twist. Egypt also got its treatment and now we have the (in my case) lesser known Norse gods.
This is the second book of what currently looks like a trilogy. I maybe hope that there will be more although I wish Magnus a peaceful afterlife I also want to see him in more quests and epic arguments with his sword. Among other things.
I will admit that it is sort of hard to picture Loki as anyone else than Tom Hiddleston ... and don’t get me started on Thor. At the same time these and many other pop culture references are picked up and get wonderfully twisted as well. Yet I also think that because of their close relationship to current trends the books appeal to their readers at the precise moment of their publication (which is more than enough) but at the same time all these tiny references and extras will be hard to understand just a couple of years on.
Side note: The chapter titles of Rick Riordan’s books are some of the best ones ever – You Keep Using the Word Help. I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means ... for example.

What are your thoughts on very up to date books? Love them for their close relation to current events/references or sceptic about their long term readability? Share your ideas and teasers in the comments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only managed to read the first Percy Jackson - but as this is one of my granddaughter's favourite authors, I want to get hold of more. Like you, I enjoy the modern take on the old mythic tales. This is my TT - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/11/29/teaser-tuesday-29th-november-2016/

Kathy Martin said...

This one sounds like a lot of fun. I love the teasers. My teaser this week is from Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater. Happy reading!

sherry fundin said...

Thanks for the chuckle with my morning coffee. :-)
sherry @ My TT

Anonymous said...

Great teaser! It's a while since I've read any Rick Riordan, and this is one I have not gotten to. Funny, it's the second Riordan teaser I've read today! And here is my teaser, from The Madonna of Las Vegas:

http://petrini1.livejournal.com/316739.html

Unknown said...

LOL I really did laugh out loud!

My TT from Christmas Magic 1959

Unknown said...

This sounds like an interesting book! Here is my TT: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/teaser-tuesday1363034

Cyn @ Bookmunchies said...

Haha, great teasers! I really need to get on this series! Thanks for sharing.

Here's my Teaser at Bookmunchies (:

Wee Shubba said...

I've yet to read anything by this author even though I have all the original Percy Jackson novels. Need to fix that I think.

Fantastic teasers.

Feel free to pop over and check out my Teaser Tuesday

Shubba @ Wee Shubba's World

Post a Comment