Tuesday 5 July 2016

Teaser Tuesday: Summer Days and Summer Nights edited by Stephanie Perkins

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Summer Days and Summer Nights edited by Stephanie Perkins.

Summer Days and Summer Nights –
St. Martin’s Press

“I didn’t want to break up with you.”
“But … but you did.”
His shoulders drooped miserably. “I know.”
“Oh.” It was a whisper..
— In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins

My smile fell away. Some habits of friendship were like muscle memory, rising up even when everything else had changed. I knew our jokes, our rhythms, the choreography of our friendship. But that didn’t take away what we were now.
— Inertia by Veronica Roth


More summer reads! Anyone else suspecting a theme here? Stephanie Perkins has again assembled an impressive collection of authors, some of my very favourites and some new to me in what I’d like to describe as delicious, lovely reading morsels. I’m very used to hearing that anthologies are difficult and no one here want to read them and therefore no one is eager to publish them (where I live anyway). And I get it. Sort of. The short story reader is different from the novel reader, but who says that you can’t be both? I love it when my authors write long, elaborate stories ... but at the same time it is a pretty amazing quality to paint a quick sketch of a story and infuse it with and evoke just as much emotion as in a novel. That’s real talent.
As with almost every compilation there will be those parts that you like more than others. And that’s okay, I don’t like all songs on every album of my favourite bands, but I’m still very happy to have them. And who knows maybe in this selection of authors you’ll find one you didn’t know before, enjoy their story, and want to read more from them. I know I’ll be looking into a few, just like I did with the winter companion of this.

How is you summer (reading) shaping up so far? The weather is sort of improving (and now I totally jinxed it, didn’t I?) and my reading is currently very pleasing (one of them is not summery at all, but I can’t tell you about that one yet ... will have to wait until Autumn for that one). Share your summer impressions and teasers in the comments!

4 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

This does sound like a good anthology. I like discovering new authors in anthologies. My YA teaser this week comes from Walk the Edge by Katie McGarry. Happy reading!

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

Sounds like a lovely book! Here’s my Teaser Tuesday.

Greg said...

I just read this one and enjoyed both of these stories. The North and Marigold story was nice because it was fun to revisit characters from the Christmas anthology, and Inertia was nice to get a sense of Roth's writing since I haven't seen anything by her since Divergent.

Greg said...

I just read this one and enjoyed both of these stories. The North and Marigold story was nice because it was fun to revisit characters from the Christmas anthology, and Inertia was nice to get a sense of Roth's writing since I haven't seen anything by her since Divergent.

Post a Comment