Tuesday 26 July 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan.

The Hidden Oracle –
Disney Hyperion

“You know, I keep thinking, I have now killed every single thing in Greek mythology. But the list never seems to end.”
“You haven’t killed me yet,” I noted.
“Don’t tempt me.”
— Chapter 7

Bad news: I died. Good news: I got better!
— Chapter 12




There is a haiku stuck in my head ... or actually more than one and I totally blame Apollo. But don’t tell him, he’s probably vain enough to fancy himself important or something. And also don’t tell him that I’ve already laughed several times during the first few chapters. Or maybe you can tell him that, because it was definitely at his expense. Just imagine the golden boy of vanity and ego-centrism stuffed into a pile of garbage, discovering that he has acne (the horror!), and at the beck and call of a teenage girl.
Or rather you don’t need to imagine it, you could just read this book, which is Rick Riordan at his very best doing what he does so perfectly: writing snarky, funny, enjoyable adventures mixed with ancient history and clever subtext. I suppose that you don’t have to have read the other books, but it is immeasurably more fun if you can discover all the intertextual references. Just calling what was the plot of the complete previous five books “a few minor hardships” had me snort-giggling for a while. I have a sneaking suspicion in terms of quests (and further cross over potential with other characters) and I’m quite certain that I’ll enjoy this series tremendously as it progresses. But let’s be honest, unless the author suffers from a severe personality and talent change I will happily read whatever he decides to write. I’m so very lucky to have a quite sizable number of favourite authors whom I can trust to write consistently and to a reliable standard.

Tell me about one of your “blind-buy-authors” whom you trust implicitly. Share them and your teasers in the comments.

4 comments:

Majanka Verstraete said...

What a great teaser. I can't wait to read this book.
Here's my teaser.

Unknown said...

Both made me chuckle. I might have to check out the series:)

My TT from Shepherd & the Professor

Kathy Martin said...

This sounds like fun. I've only read a couple of books by this author though. My YA teaser comes from The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray. Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

My granddaughter is a huge fan of his books, which she listens to on audible - I need to get hold of them as sounds funny and I love the Greek myths anyway... Thank you for sharing:) This is my TT this week - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/teaser-tuesday-26th-july-2016/

Post a Comment