Tuesday 22 September 2015

Teaser Tuesday: Court of Fives by Kate Elliott

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Court of Fives by Kate Elliott.

Court of Fives –
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

“I don’t want to be your son! I want to be your daughter who matters to you as much as a son would.”
— Chapter 24

My enemies have weapons and magic and riches and ships and all the might of kingdoms at their disposal. But they don’t have me.
— Chapter 35



I’m a very sporty person ... when it comes to spectator sports. And reading is a very good way of establishing spectatorship (almost wrote spectator-ing there. Oh well, you know what I mean. Right?) The Fives are actually a very sophisticated five tier obstacle course where the player runs against three opponents. Think Takeshi’s Castle meets American Gladiators but without the safety nets, breaks or soft foam ground.This might be fun to watch, minus the possibility of being crushed and falling to your death of course. I enjoyed the description of Jes running through the courses and felt that this was a very immediate and action-packed part of the book. I also liked the background story of Jes’s family and their cultural struggle.
My only complaint is that I don’t quite get the attraction between Jes and Kal. If it weren’t for the kissing this would be a perfectly fine friendship between the two and the impact of what happens at the end would have had a similar impact. This will maybe play a bigger role in the books to come, but for this book it felt more like an afterthought. This doesn’t necessarily deduct from the main story, especially if you’re actually looking for a book that doesn’t seem to have a glowing love story at its centre.

Are you a sports spectator? Be that via television or reading. I find that if such a scene is well-written the reading experience is definitely comparable to watching a match on TV. Leave your thoughts and teasers in the comments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't get to watch sports that often but yes, I guess I can be considered a spectator. I've watched basketball, football, and volleyball games before, it's just not a priority now. :)

My TT

Unknown said...

Great Teaser and happy Tuesday here is My Teaser!

Kathy Martin said...

I liked this book too. My YA teaser this week comes from What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler. Happy reading!

Post a Comment