Tuesday 10 December 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier.

Emerald Green –
Henry Holt and Co.

“The ground will soak up your blood!”
I had at least two smart retorts to these sinister words on the tip of my tongue. (Soak up my blood? Oh, come off it, this is a tiled floor.)
— Chapter 1

“Swear by your lives!”
Aunt Maddy was the only one to jump up and put her hand enthusiastically on her heart. The others were still hesitating. “Can’t we swear by anything else?” grumbled Lesley. “I’d have thought our left hands would do.”
— Chapter 4


There aren’t many translated books in English, especially not children’s books. I suppose one of the reasons is that English has such a high number of quality authors that publishers don’t feel the need to look for great stories in other markets. This is one of the few instances where a foreign book series was so persistent in wanting to get noticed that it somehow did. And translated by none other than Anthea Bell, no less (I’m book nerd enough to get excited about translators).So I actually got to read this final book in the Precious Stone trilogy a while ago, but this is one of the series I like to go back to and skim read for favourite scenes. And I dare you to read this and not want a pet gargoyle demon afterwards.

How are you holding up before Christmas? Have you met your reading goal for this year yet? Let’s hear from you in the comments and share your teasers for this week.

9 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

You've gotta love a heroine with attitude :)
Here's My Teaser

Love Africa Book Club said...

Hahahaha, it looks like a fun read.
Happy Tuesday, Julika!
http://www.lovebitesandsilk.co.uk/2013/12/teasertuesday-southern-embrace-by.html

Beth F said...

This series is on my list. I'm playing today at Beth Fish Reads.

Natalie @ Book Lovers Life said...

I have book 1 on my TBR pile and am excited to read this series.It sounds so good! Thanks for sharing.
http://bookloverslife.blogspot.ie/2013/12/teaser-tuesday-16.html

Karen and Gerard said...

Funny teasers, must be a fun read! Here's ours: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2013/12/tuesday-teasers-four-for-you.html

Majanka Verstraete said...

Soak up her blood? Hah, that definitely sounds intriguing.


Check out my Teaser for this week.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Two funny teasers! This sounds like book worth reading.
My Teaser is from CHRISTMAS CALLING.

Unknown said...

I'm liking the sense of humour. Heard loads about the series, definitely going to try it soon. :) Great teasers!

Here's mine

Kirsty @ StudioReads

CHRISTIE said...

I am madly in love with this trilogy :) I just finished it in October.

My teaser is here: http://thefictionenthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/12/teaser-tuesday-december-10th.html

Post a Comment