Tuesday 5 March 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!  

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.

Code Name Verity – Egmont

I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can’t believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant. But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.
– Part 1 Chapter 7

... if anyone should drop a match or cigarette the whole place would go up like Vesuvius. There’s no way I’d ever be able to get out. I try not to think about it.
– Part 2 Chapter 2


If you had told me a week ago that I was going to be raving about a story set in WW II, I’d probably said that you don’t know me very well. Right, I take everything back and claim the opposite. At least in this case. I know that this book has already received great reviews singing its praises and I won’t tell you anything new I suppose. If I was asked to describe this book in just one word, I’d fold. There is just no way. I caught myself smiling and had to ask myself if one should be able to find humour in this, but there is ... a silent, desperate, and incredibly brave humour amidst all the sadness and horror. There are also great acts of courage, selflessness, and devotion. I’m usually not much of a crier when I read and even though certain things can be suspected from the beginning, I had to put the book down several times because I couldn’t see the pages anymore. I really hope that everyone gets to experience a friendship such as the one evident throughout the book – if hopefully under happier circumstances.

Which book has you glued to the pages this week? Tell us in the comments.

10 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds good the way you describe it. Good teasers too! Adding this to our TBR!

Here's ours: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-teasers-death-of-bees-and.html

SJ said...

I read another teaser from this book last week. It's sounding really good. I might have to add it to my to buy list.

My Teaser

Melissa O. said...

Great teasers! I hope you enjoy the book... Here’s my TT post!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Your teasers grabbed me, and your comments made me want to read the book immediately. Good post.
My Teaser is from THE LAW OF SIMILARS.

Anonymous said...

Sounds intriguing.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/teaser-tuesday.html

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this book either. Thanks for sharing.
Here is mine:
http://werejumpinbooks.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/teaser-tuesday-2/

The Writing Rabbit said...

This is on my TBR list and I keep hearing amazing things about it. Can't wait to have a chance to read it! Great teaser. :)

Here's my tt: http://followthewritingrabbit.blogspot.com/2013/03/teaser-tuesday.html

Zenia said...

This book sounds really good and I love your teasers! Thanks so much for sharing.
My Teaser from Wait For You by Jennifer L. Armentrout (+ giveaway of the same book)

i*Heart*BigBooks said...

great teasers! this one is on my TBR pile.

Check out mine, if you'd like: Teaser Tuesday - Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins (@ i*Heart*BigBooks)

Unknown said...

This looks really good!

New GFC Follower

My WOW

Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

Post a Comment