Tuesday 11 September 2012

Teaser Tuesday: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!  

A Discovery Of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
A Discovery of Witches -
Headline

Oxford is quintessentially normal in the morning, with the delivery trucks pulled up to college kitchens, the aromas of burned coffee and damp pavement, and fresh rays of sunlight slanting through the mist. It was not a place that seemed likely to harbor vampires.
-- Chapter 4

I’d assured Sarah and Em that no vampire would meddle with my life. Gillian Chamberlain and Peter Knox had changed my mind. With shaking hands I lowered the shades and locked the door, wishing I’d never heard of Ashmole 782.
-- Chapter 10

This is a re-read for me in the sense that I actually read the German translation, which is surprisingly well done (I’m horribly picky at that). The second book, Shadow of Night, has just been released in English and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. But in the meantime I’ll get reacquainted with Matthew and Diana. How often do you get a witch, who knows she's a witch, but doesn’t want to use her power and keeps track of how often she uses it in the course of a year? I’d constantly get things out of my bag without having to almost dive into it to find anything ... or use it for doing the dishes. Final selling point: If you’ve ever been to Oxford, you’ll recognise a good deal of the places mentioned and if you haven’t, the writing will make you think that you have been there.

Have you read A Discovery of Witches? Would you rather be a witch, a vampire, a daemon, or a human? And what are you reading this week?

2 comments:

Naomi Hop said...

I must get this one!! It sounds great!! Love me some paranormal!!

You can check out My TT here-
Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Vampires, witches, and demons? Sounds intriguing, especially in the Oxford setting.
My Teaser is from A COLLIE RESCUE.

Post a Comment