Tuesday 26 June 2012

Teaser Tuesday: The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!  

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab.

The Near Witch - Disney Hyperion Books

I feel like there should be a mark in the air where he was wiped away. But there is no trace.
-- Chapter 1
“I was there,” Dreska snaps, and I wince for the recipient. The stones of the house seem to grind together. “You were not, Tomas. You were not even a thought in your parents’ minds, and your parents were not thoughts, and their parents were not thoughts. But I was there …”
-- Chapter 11


I fleetingly considered teasing two sentences from the dissertation handbook that is my best friend at the moment, but I really didn’t want to scar any of you permanently with that ... unless you are interested in such a thing? (It’s a really helpful book but I wouldn’t recommend it as leisure reading.) So The Near Witch is a book I had on my list for quite a while and never really got around to reading it. That is until I picked it up and only set it down to eat and then when it was finished. I would describe it as a quiet book in the sense that it has a very soft style that I can imagine isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. I really admired the clandestine way of building up tension until you are suddenly racing along the words to see how everything plays out. If you want, you can have a look at the companion short story, The Ash-Born Boy, by clicking here, which I can highly recommend.

Also: We have been tagged for a Liebster Award (twice!) and Diana and I will have to talk about how we want to respond to such a thing in the future. We will, I think, respond to these two, but maybe not others ... in the meantime I am finishing aforementioned dissertation and Diana is busy as well so please bear with us for the moment. And let us know what you are reading.

7 comments:

Small Blonde Hippy said...

I like that teaser - very atmospheric. You have a very pretty blog. Here's mine: Small Blonde Hippy

Anonymous said...

I think this was far preferable to your dissertation handbook. I can see it's a book that would pull me right in. Here's mine: http://bookbelle0819.blogspot.com/2012/06/teaser-tuesday.html

Claire said...

Definitely a more fun choice than a dissertation handbook lol. Sounds like an incredible read - I must get to my copy asap!

My teaser is here if you'd like a look!

The More the Merrier said...

Interesting teasers! I've wanted to get this one for awhile but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I should.

My TT.

Cathy De Los Santos said...

sounds like it was a long time ago, great teaser. Here's my Teaser

Unknown said...

I'm intrigued! Great Tease!
My Tease!
Happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

A very good teaser!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/teaser-tuesday_26.html

Post a Comment